Thursday 25 August 2011

Arrival

 Whoo Hoo. Finally it's arrived! I have my new sewing machine. This was a p[resent for my birthday, but as i've been away, it arrived yesterday. It's a  Janome CS1000 from Cooper's sewing machines. I decided on this model as it's mechanical; has a good range of stitches, including stretch stitches; one step button hole; auto foot pressure and was good value for money. I'd looked at lots of different types of machine, some were fantastic - but out of my price range. I'd have loved an industrial machine - but don't have the space for one.

Anyway - I got to try it out today. My mum has had a wrap dress pattern and fabric for years and had not got around to making it up. I offered to make it for her. So mad rush ensured as I realised she's off to Spain on Tuesday and its Bank Holiday on Monday. so I had to get it made and posted today = epic sewing session.
The Machine worked really well - smooth and even pressure, good stitch tension and it handled the slippy fabric really well. It's the first time I've ever owned a brand new machine and I hope to have it for a long time. It's even got a serger setting!

I now have to decide what to do with the lovely fabrics I brought back from my trip. I have about 12m of fabric in 6 different types. 3 Silks - that cost around £5.50p/m from a tailor's shop in Hong Kong and 3 cotton mixes that were about £1.50p/m. In shocking pink, black polka dot and a pink and white floral. Plans are forming...
ooh and I got a top and dress from the local charity bus for 10p!

Smart and Trendy Moms

9 comments:

  1. Love the dress, well done. I have a Janome a bit old now but love it and the auto buttonhole is a godsend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, officially following ya from social parade friday. :)( absolutely lovely blog here and great reads.. Looking forward to indulging more in your world.. :)) I'm Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com
    hope you can stop by sometime ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marilyn. I'll ge following you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your new machine! Lovely dress! Enjoy! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new machine...love the dress you've made... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely dress and a new machine! I always wished I could sew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marvelous dress ~ well done ~ and very stylish ~ bet Mum loved it ~ thanks for sharing ~ namaste, Carol ~ (Share the Creative Journey) Happy SS ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your machine looks wonderful. I got a brand new Janome 20 years ago and it is still humming along. It's been tuned up a couple of times, but it has been a great little machine. It is just a basic one. I would love to have one that has a serger stitch. That would be wonderful, I wasn't aware that you could get that.
    Have a lovely day,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet dress! I am sure your mom will love it...and I am sure you'll think of plenty to do with all the fabric!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...