Monday 13 June 2011

London Baby!


 No blogging for the last few days as I've been in London. It was an early birthday treat from my Mum and sister. While I've not made anything I've had chance to wear my purple silk dress and get some creative inspiration.

Once we had arrived and left the bags, we headed up to the South Bank, greeted by a bright white London Eye against a foreboding sky. sure enough it was not long before the heavens opened and the thunder bellowed. We sought refuge at the roof garden of the Festival hall and took a look at the amazing photos from Helmand.

The brollies came out and we dashed up the south bank, arriving at the Tate modern rather bedraggled. After a couple of hours looking at the art that I've become so familiar with over the last few years teaching, we'd dried out and the sun was coming back out.

Time for food - so off to Borough Market. This is a real foodie market, with suppliers. and only a few places selling food to eat there and then. we opted for the healthy option of a salad - it was delicious. Later we returned for cheesecake - I've never seen so many different types of cheese cake in one place.

The next day dawned sunny and bright, we headed over to the Methodist central hall at Westminster, as there was an exhibition I wanted to see. Wesley's cafe was a welcome surprise, good quality food and drinks at a very reasonable price.


It was trooping of the colour , but we wanted to avoid it, so we decided to Head up to the Adam Gallery in Cork Street to see the work of Barbara Rae. Mum and I both love her work and it was great to see it close up - it gave me some ideas for my own work.

We didn't want to do the usual shops that are along Oxford and Regents Street, so we decided to head up to Portobello market. I loved this market - if you are a thrifter, or love vintage clothes there's a good range of stuff here. the market seems to stretch along the whole of Portobello Road, each section has a different focus, from antiques, food, clothing. I stopped at The Spice Shop. We regularly order from here, via the internet. it was great to be able to go into the shop - the smell was fantastic.

After pounding the streets, we returned to our hotel for a quick change, then it was off to Browns for a pre theatre meal. I knew we were going to see a show, but mum and Libby had kept it secret. Les Miserables! it was excellent, funny, sad and life affirming.

Sunday, Camden market beckoned - it was raining and breakfast was had in a small coffee shop inside the market. Again, more interesting and unusual items to buy. and food stalls galore. It reminded me of being in Hong Kong markets - stall holders offering you their wares and vying for your business. Lunch was Moroccan tagine at a stall and then the sad bit - heading back to the train station, where we went our separate ways - hopefully it won't be long before we get chance to do it again.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! Les Miserables is one of my favourite shows and I have seen it 12 times in at least four different cities in the world! Most people who haven't seen it think that it is depressing but not at all - if you don't get goosebumps at the end, there's something wrong with you!!

    Happy Birthday - I'm jealous!!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...