Saturday 27 October 2012

The Abbey coat - finished


So it's taken me all week, but I've finished the small details like sewing on buttons. I even got to wear my coat this morning.

The temperature has plummeted here in the last couple of days and last night brought, sleet, snow, hail and thunder. This coat is very light - more like a jacket, which is what I wanted. but not the best for being out in the cold weather.
If I were making a thick coat I'd make the next size up to allow room for thicker layers under it. but I wanted something stylish to wear with dresses or  jeans but even be smart enough to wear for work. I think this works for that, and the pattern was easy to follow. no muslin was made and it fit great without any adjustments to the bodice.
I did alter the sleeves, but that was from a style point of view rather than fit.

Thanks to Handmade Jane for the pattern.



15 comments:

  1. Its so cute and cheerful! I have been wanting to make myself a red jacket too. Perfect for those gray winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing! Hope the weather is kind and you get some wear out of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful little jacket- I love the lining too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous jacket. Love the colour and the lining too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous jacket. Such a shame the weather has turned but I bet you could come up with another stunner for a winter one. The lining matches the red beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely make it again in another fabric. this could become my jacket of choice.

      Delete
  6. What a great jacket. Very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really, really lovely coat. You must be so chuffed!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it - the colour, the style and the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nicely done! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it's absolutely perfect! I'm so thrilled you've made it and that it's turned out so well! Will definitely be stealing your idea of lengthening the sleeves and using a lighter weight fabric for my next version. Love it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. It was such an easy pattern to follow. I'll definitely make this again. I'm thinking a velvet version to wear with Christmas/ winter outfits.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful coat, it looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...