Monday, 4 August 2014

Finally I make something for my husband...

I have been saying for quite a while that I wanted to make something for my hubby (not counting the Totoro Onesie) he loves shirts with nice patterened fabric and when we were in Nottingham in May we picked up some floral cotton, it's soft and has a nice drape to it. He announced that he'd like a shirt made up in it, and as it was only £2 per meter we bought 3m.

I traced off a pattern from one of his favourite shirts, I didn't use a pattern as the only ones I had were in Burdastyle magazine and were not in his size. To trace the pattern I simply ironed the shirt, they lay thin tissue over it and traced over the seam lines with a biro, this was easy to do as there is very little ease on the sleeves in a mans shirt. I do need to make slight alterations to the pattern, but the fit was generally good. I think i'll increase the collar and collar stand size next time.

I used Grainline Archer's sewalong as I haven't made a shirt before and her instructions are awesome. the only thing I did differently was to make a different shirt placket. I taught myself how to do these, by deconstructing a shirt cuff many years ago, before I'd really got into sewing. As I used to teach Design technology I'd always advocated using disassembly to help understand how things were made. Now I put it to good use when I want to know how to sew something.

The shirt came together really well and John wore it to the wedding we attended on Thursday, you can see for yourself that he looks really comfortable in it. he's now orderd another 2 or 3  - so that will keep me busy, oh and there was enough left over for a little top for me!

Sunday, 3 August 2014

Stretchy Skull Dress

It seems i've been neglecting my little blog a bit. I have been very busy making and should have lots of nice things to show you over the next few weeks, just need to find the time to actually write about them - too busy with real life, and that's the way it should be!

Way back in May I picked up some stretch skull lacy fabric, not too much stretch and it really did need some lining. I knew it would be perfect for my daughter and found a pattern from a recent Burdastyle magazine (it's based on the under dress of this pattern) that would make the perfect dress.

I had a bit of trouble with the neck binding and ended up doing it twice - i'm still not really happy with it as it twists slightly. I'm still learning when it comes to knits, and the lining was much stretchier than the skull fabric.

My Daughter loves it though and struts around in it and some high heeled ankle boots  - a true diva in the making!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...