Friday 16 March 2018

Long shift dress - Gertie/ burdastyle frankenpattern



I started this dress way back in September 2017. I had big plans, big, big plans and they came to nought.
I was going to make the surplice dress from Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book. I made two muslin's of the bodice and wasn't happy with the fit of either.
Then I tried the Wiggle dress from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing, most of this fit ok, but I just don't think it was right for the fabric I had.
So my Solution - Franken Pattern - two tried and true patterns merged together.
I used Burdastyle Seamed dress 08/2012#120 for the bodice and the Pencil Skirt from Gertie's new book for better sewing.


My fabric is a floral woven cotton with just a bit of stretch and I have some white Tana lawn for the lining.

I assembled the front and back panels for the dress in both the shell fabric and lining and then put in the invisible zip.



Not a bad job at all. The next step was to sew the dress and facing together at the neck edge and then understitch. This gives a great finish and prevents the lining from peeking out. I sewed the armholes using the burrito method. This is my go-to way of sewing an all in one facing or lining. It's always worth cutting the lining a few mm narrower than the shoulders to allow the fabric to roll under. It also gives an opportunity to adjust the fit at the side seams too.


That's what I did next - sewing up the side seams, just on the dress fabric initially as I needed to check the fit. It's a good job I did as I needed to take in quite a bit at the waist and grading out to the hip. I pinned the dress and marked the new seamlines in chalk. I also pegged the skirt about 5cm at the hem.
Then Nothing!
I
Did
Nothing
For
Two
Months.

This dress had been thrown over the back of a chair for two months. Granted I've been busy, I hadn't blogged in that time, or even done much sewing. I'd fallen out of love with the dress, didn't like the fabric, couldn't be bothered with it.
Then after Christmas (yes  - that's when I finished it!) I had a couple of spare hours, the right colour thread in the machine and decided to sew up the alterations. I'm so glad I did. As soon as the side seams had been adjusted the dress looked so much better on and I like it again.


I even took the time to hand stitch the hem!

This make hasn't ben worm yet as I haven't had the occasion to wear it, but I did finally get my hubby to take photos for me last week - so I can post it at last. I'm hoping to wear it to a party in a couple of weeks.

Have you ever taken so long to make something that you've changed your mind frequently about it?

5 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous dress. I love the colour and the pattern. I hope you get to wear it properly soon x #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so co-ordinated! That's one gorgeous dress. Well done for making it! #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! Great design - both pattern and style - and it looks great - thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...